This year’s great annual day out for the Italian community will be on Sunday June 21 at the traditional venue of Cochrane Park Alva. Get the date in your diary now!
Here’s the programme:
- 12 Noon
- Holy Mass offered by His Grace Archbishop Mario Conti - Pavilion
- Five –a –side football commences – Upper Park (pre- registration required –see link for form and details )
- 1pm - 4pm
- Pirate Pete will be around to entertain the children and adults!!! He will do a mixture of walkabout with balloon art, magic tricks and two shows throughout the day outside the main building. Finishing at around 4pm with a parade of 'Pirates and Princesses' with the winners having a prize. So the children can either come dressed up or bring something to change into for later.
- Rodolfo Benacci Bocce competition –near pavilion (register on day)
- Concert by Scotland-s Pavarotti, Luigi Corvi in pavilion
- Prizegiving, Raffle prize draw –in pavilion
- Fratelli Sarti BBQ (park) all day.
- Coffee served in Pavilion all day.Tony Vezza of Café Camardo is supplying coffee stall this year
- Stalls open in the Pavilion from 1pm- 5pm
Arandora Star: The 75th Anniversary
This year marks the 75th anniversary of the sinking of the Arandora Star. To mark the event there will be a Mass at St Andrew’s Cathedral, Glasgow on Thursday July 2, celebrated by Archbishop Conti. The Mass will be held 75 years to the day, to the hour of the death and rescue of so many men in the North Sea on that fateful day in 1940. After the Mass a areath will be laid at the monument to the dead I the Italian Cloister Garden next to the Cathedral. All welcome to attend. Please let relatives who may be unaware of this anniversary know so that they can be present.
The election of new members to serve on the COMITES took place last week and the results have now been declared. The COMITES *Comitato degli Italiani all'Estero" is a body set up by the Italian Government in areas where there is a sizeable presence of Italian citizens, and in Scotland works with the consulate to support the Italian community here and promote initiatives which enrich Italian culture.
The names of the new COMITES members elected are:
- DE MARCO Adriano
- CONTI Gloria
- CROLLA Modesta
- VERRICO Paul
- ALLETTI Annachiara
- SARTI Sandro
- PIROZZI Carlo
- MARTONE Fabio
- DI CANTO Feliciano
- MARTONE Francesco
- ANTONUCCI Claudio
- CORTELLESSA Franco
Flights to Italy
Some people have asked about flights between Scotland and Italy over the summer months. Here is a complete guide.
- Glasgow to Rome (Fiumicino) and return - From April to October 2015. Flights are on Thursdays and Sundays.
- Edinburgh to Venice (Marco Polo) and return – From April to October 2015 as follows:
- In April and May flights are Fridays, Saturdays and Mondays.
- In June, July, August and September flights are Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
- In the month of October flights reduce to Fridays, Saturdays and Mondays.
- Edinburgh to Verona and return
- From Sat 24 January to Sat 11 April 2015 – flights are Saturday
- From Wed 13 May to Wed, 30 Sept – flights are Wednesdays
- Glasgow Prestwick to Rome Ciampino and return – from 31 March until 24 October 2015 – flights are Tuesdays and Saturdays
- Glasgow Prestwick to Pisa and return – from 4 June until 27 Sept 2015 – flights are Thursdays and Sundays
- Edinburgh to Rome Ciampino and return
- January and February 2015 – flights are Wednesdays, Saturdays and Mondays.
- From March 2015 – Wednesdays, Saturdays and Mondays (plus Sun 1 March and Sun 29 March)
- From April to 23 October – flights are Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays and Mondays.
- Edinburgh to Pisa and return
- From 31 March until 30 June 2015 – flights are Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
- For month of July – flights are Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays.
- From August until 24 October – flights are Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
Thomson Flights (Chartered)
- Glasgow to Naples and return – flights from 27 March until 30 October are on Fridays.
- Edinburgh to Naples and return – flights from 29 March until 18 October – flights are Sundays and Wednesdays
- Edinburgh to Milan Malpensa and return – flights from 29 January until 24 October 2015 – flights are daily (with the exception of 3, 4 and 10 Feb).
Good news for lovers of all things Italian! The Italian Library (with books and DVDs) which was formerly housed in the Single End Rsetaurant is now reopened in Strathclyde University. With around 500 titles there is something for everyone, including many beginner's language guides.The Biblioteca Italiana will be based just 5 minutes from George Square in Room GH223B - Graham Hills Building - 40 George Street - Glasgow.
It will be open every day from 9am to 4pm.
Do pop along and check it out. More information from Giuseppe Riato at email@example.com
ItalianScotland on Social media
In the era of Facebook and Twitter it makes sense to keep in touch via social media. Our Italian Scotland Facebook page is updated almost daily with news and events or interest to members and friends of the Scots Italian Community.
Just look up ItalianScotland on Facebook and click “like”.
We are now into the third year of our Facebook presence. It has almost 1500 signed up followers. Posts can reach 6000 people in less than 24 hours! Our Facebook page engagement has shown a more than 200 per cent increase on last year, which shows the importance of us using social media to communicate.
Remember to follow us also on Twitter @ItalianScotland